redalyc.org

Sistema de Información Científica Redalyc
Red de Revistas Científicas de América Latina y el Caribe, España y Portugal

redalyc.org redalyc.org
WATER POVERTY INDEX IN SUBTROPICAL ZONES: THE CASE OF HUASTECA POTOSINA, MEXICO
Briseida LÓPEZ ÁLVAREZ, Germán SANTACRUZ DE LEÓN, José Alfredo RAMOS LEAL, Janete MORÁN RAMÍREZ;
Revista Internacional de Contaminación Ambiental 2015 31(2)
Resumen
Inglés Español
Tools are needed in order to evaluate an integrated water resource management, and to encourage the management and coordinated usage of water resources along with the environmental and socioeconomic factors. One of those tools is the Water Poverty Index (WPI), which enables the evaluation of water poverty in terms of the physical and socioeconomic factors related to water availability. The WPI, as calculated in this study, is derived from the weighted sum of six key components –resources, access, usage, capacity, quality and environment– on a scale of 0 to 100. The objective of this work was to calculate the Río Valles Basin WPI for 2010. This region is a semi-tropical area with abundant water resources, such as large springs. Its annual mean precipita - tion is 1100 mm. In the Río Valles Basin, the volume of surface water used per year is 81.33 Mm 3 , which represents 91 % of the total resource. The volume of groundwater used per year is 8.17 Mm 3 , representing the remaining 9 %. Usually 45 Mm 3 /year is stored in La Lajilla dam. These data indicate that surface water is the main source of supply for uses such as agriculture, which is the activity with the largest water demand. A WPI score of 59 was obtained for the Río Valles Basin

Palabras clave: Water access, water quality, water availability, human development, hydric resources, Valles River.
Ver Resumen
Universidad Autónoma del Estado de México
Sistema de Información Científica Redalyc ®
Versión 3.0 | 2017
redalyc@redalyc.org